After a 14 kilometre journey from Talbragar, Mogriguy is reached. It is 484 rail-kilometres from Sydney and 21 kilometres from Dubbo.
Mogriguy is approached from Dubbo on a very slight 1-in-330 rising grade. While the yard is on the level, trains proceeding north leave Mogriguy on a 1-in-140 falling grade.
The initial passenger facilities at Mogriguy involved a station building on a short platform on the main line. This station, also on a 30-metre platform, was composed of a timber waiting shed, plus a small out-of shed, both provided on the platform.
Mogriguy was opened as Goonoo on 18 February 1903. By December 1908 it had obtained a second name – Bracken. This obviously did not sit well with those in the area who were seeking to promote the location, as tree months later the station building received its third and final title, Mogriguy.
The establishment of railway facilities in the district brought settlers. Their coming warranted the construction of the Goonoo Railway School in August 1906. At the time that the railway station moved under the appellation of Mogriguy the school’s name changed to Bracken Public School. It retained this title for only three months before assuming the name of Mogriguy Public School in March 1909. It remained under this title under its closure at the end of 1984.
Mogriguy’s establishment also warranted a postal service. It arrived on 19 June 1909 and existed until its closure on 31 December 1975. With such civic establishments within the locale it was only a matter of time before Mogriguy was proclaimed as a village – which occurred on 10 December 1913.
As with other villages along the railway Mogriguy’s rudimentary railway infrastructure was not sufficient to sustain the growing needs of the local community. The first enhancement arrived on 30 March 1911 when a loading bank was provided.
On 9 March 1914 the siding at Mogriguy was extended approximately 160 feet at the Sydney end, thereby allowing standing room for 44 four-wheeled trucks. It was identified as a railway sleeper loading siding.
In December 1920 sheep ramps were brought into use at Mogriguy – having a capacity for 14 wagons without a locomotive. A cart weighbridge of 20 tons capacity was provided on 14 February 1925.
While passenger facilities never grew beyond the most basic, even as late as 1970 the community’s growing production of primary products resulted in additional freight infrastructure. A 150,000 tonne D-type grain bulkhead depot was built at this time adjacent to the railway line.
The resulting track reorganisation resulted in Mogriguy receiving larger ‘wings’ to enable gravitation loading of grain wagons at the location. By this time, the loading bank had been assessed to be able to hold a maximum of 82 four-wheel wagons.
The passenger facilities at Mogriguy were not required after the cessation of passenger services at this location on 23 November 1974. While the station, out-of shed and platform have since been obliterated, the remainder of Mogriguy remains in place.